@Dan- right.  There are only 2 options in IntelliJ.  1 way is with
Annotation Processors; IntelliJ can search for processors on the classpath
(i.e. based on the project's dependencies).  But as the name implies, it is
a pre-processor for annotations in source code.  Think of something
like Project
Lombok <https://projectlombok.org/> [1], a very useful tool in testing.

The other way is to define a (Antlr) module that the Geode modules depend
on.  The dependency could be explicitly added in IntelliJ to geode-core
module. The Antlr module could be built using the Gradle task defined in
the Geode Gradle build.  However, this would get stomped every time someone
re-imported the Gradle build files for Geode.

Probably the best option is as *Udo* described, or to first run a
clean/build with Gradle, then build/test in IntelliJ (assuming IDEA does
not blow away the build output on rebuilds).

Anyhow...

[1] https://projectlombok.org/

--
-John