Even though Apache Geode is accepting jars containing Geode callback
implementations (Functions, CacheListener, etc), it's NOT a container or
application server. You can WANT it to be a container or EXPECT it to be a
container but it's not ;) This would require Apache Geode becoming an
application server. To become an application server would require extensive
rearchitecting to introduce a complex classloading hierarchy for
application isolation. Whether you want this functionality or not, the
unfortunate truth is it cannot be done in a few weeks by a few developers.
If it's important then it becomes one of the few new features that can be
added to something like Geode in a given year. It would be better to find
other open-source containers such as Apache Felix and install Apache Geode
in it and then use Felix as the container. We could theoretically turn
Apache Geode into a project that depends on Apache Felix (or another
container project) such that starting an Apache Geode Locator or Server
actually starts up an Apache Felix process with Geode running inside it and
available for applications that are then deployed into Felix.