The java client does still have a retry-attempts setting - it's pretty much
the same as the C++ API.

I agree with Bruce though, I think the current retry behavior is not ideal.
I think it only really makes sense for the client to retry an operation
that it actually sent to the server if the server stops responding to
pings. The believe the current retry behavior just waits the read-timeout
and then retries the operation on a new server.

-Dan