I don't think it's as easy as doing a rebase.  Someone added the 1.8 version to Version.java and we need to revert that.  We also need to see if it's being used anywhere for backward-compatibility.  If it's in use those changes need to be examined and probably undone on the branch if they're targeting 1.7 peers/clients.