Hi Dan,

Discussing these matters by e-mail is getting tricky.

Let's see if I understand you correctly and also if I am being clear enough.

Please, see my comments inline.

On 29/8/19 0:49, Dan Smith wrote:
> Sorry for the slow response, I've been trying to decide what I think is the
> right approach here.
>
> For (1) - conceptually, I don't have a problem with having both blocking
> and non blocking methods on Execution. So adding blocking versions of
> execute() with a timeout seems ok. But I do think if we add them we need to
> implement them on both the client and the server to behave the same way.
> That shouldn't be too hard on the server since execute(timeout) can just
> call getResult(timeout) internally.

We have to take into account that, currently, the timeout in execute()
is not the same thing as the timeout in getResult().

On the one hand, the timeout set in execute() (via System property in
the Java client, and with a parameter in the native client) sets a
readtimeout on the socket which just means that if nothing is read from
the socket after sending the request to the server for the given
timeout, the corresponding exception will be thrown. It looks to me more
like a protection against possible communication failures rather than a
mechanism to decide if results took too long to be provided. So I would
not link the presence of the timeout parameter in the method to the
nature of the method (blocking or non-blocking). I think we could have
this read timeout set and at the same time keep that method as non-blocking.

On the other hand, the timeout set in getResult() is a timeout to wait
for all the results to be received from the moment the method is invoked.

Therefore, I would not implement the blocking version of execute() on
the server by calling getResult() at the end.

Apart from that, I doubt if it would make sense to set this readTimeout
in the execute() methods from servers given that the communication is
very different to the one done with clients. I also doubt that anyone
would be interested in the blocking version of execute() on the server.

My proposal was to add the readtimeout to the execute() methods in the
Java client in order to align the Java client and the native client.
This change would be independent to the decision we make regarding the
change of execute() to non-blocking. To achieve this alignment,
alternatively, we could remove the timeout parameter in execute() from
the native clients and have it as a global property for the client to be
set by whatever mechanism available as it is done in the Java client today.

Were you proposing that the execute() methods with timeout were blocking
and the ones without timeout non-blocking? Not sure if this is something
you meant.

> For (2) - Although I think the original authors of this API probably did
> intend for execute() to be non-blocking, the fact is that it does block on
> the client and most users are probably calling execute from a client. So I
> do agree we probably shouldn't change the behavior at this point. Perhaps
> we can just clearly document the current behavior of execute() as part of
> adding these new methods. Going forward we can add new methods to Execution
> that are clearly non-blocking (submit?, invoke?) and implement them
> consistently on *both* the client in the server, but that doesn't have to
> be in the scope of this proposal.

The problem I see with adding new non-blocking methods (new/submit...)
is that it would be a solution for the current users of the client
regarding backwards compatibility. But, on the server side, we would
have to move the current logic of execute() which is non-blocking to the
new methods and change the current execute() behavior to blocking. We
would not impact the users of the client but we would impact the users
of the server.

Again, I would propose to aim at:

a) either leave execute() on the client as blocking

b) or change execute() on the client to be non-blocking but on the Geode
release this is introduced, have it configurable. The default behavior
would be blocking (deprecated behavior) but could be set to non-blocking
with a system property. On the next release, the blocking behavior would
be removed.

- Alberto G.