I don’t care how long it is, but knowing that many tools show only the
first bit, it’s helpful if the message is phrased with the most important
words near the beginning.

I’d much prefer to encourage rather than discourage descriptive commit
messages. Even better if all commit messages mentioned more about _why_ the
change is being made, not just describe the diff.

But most important of all, NEVER forget the colon between the ticket number
and the rest.  I learned that the hard way :(

-Owen