De: Juan José Ramos <jra...@pivotal.io>
Enviado: martes, 8 de octubre de 2019 11:32
Para: dev@geode.apache.org <dev@geode.apache.org>
Asunto: Re: [DISCUSS]: Commit Message Format too Short?

Hello Owen,

Yes, I fully agree with you. And just to be clear, I wasn't trying to
discourage descriptive commit messages, on the contrary, we certainly must
encourage them at all cost!!. It was decided that we should, however, try
to keep consistency across all commits and make the subject brief, adding
the full details within the body of the text; as described in *How to write
a Git commit message [1], *referenced in our *Commit Message Format
[2] *article.
Right now we're not enforcing this rule, there are even some commits
without the ticket number at the beginning of the commit subject :-/.
I guess the goal of this thread is to gather some feedback and opinions
from the community to better decide how to proceed: remove the rule,
increase the maximum amount of characters from 50 to something else in the
commit message subject, automatically enforce the rule altogether and
prevent commits that don't follow it, etc.
Best regards.

[1]: https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/
[2]: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Commit+Message+Format

--