This is a great idea!

On thought though, did you consider just converting the existing PoolManager to
an interface leaving the static methods intact but deprecated? I would think
this would make existing code pretty easy to refactor over to the new code with
minimal changes. If you thought about it can you add why you rejected it to the
RFC.

-Jake