> On May 8, 2020, at 1:55 PM, Jinmei Liao <jil...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> What's the recommendation for the legitimate usage of the deprecated
> property? In my case, a gemFire property is deprecated, but "start locator"
> command still has an option to turn on that property (the option is
> deprecated as well, but we are still obligated to keep it in the code). In
> this case, which option is favorable?
> 1. use the @SuppressWarnings({"deprecation") on the method that uses that
> property
> 2. do not refer that property but use the string literal instead?
> 3. anything else?

If the test is directly and intentionally testing the deprecated item then it's
legitimate and necessary to suppress. It should be documented or obvious why
it's legitimate. If the test is not testing a direclty deprecated item then it
should not be using the deprecated item. If we need to refactor something or
write a new something that isn’t deprecated then that is the cost of
deprecation.

-Jake