Hi Jake,

I agree with everyone's point about final being a useful, I just don't find it
useful enough to do anything manually across the code base at this point.

I believe first in foremost in no code warnings. Intellij warns about variables
that can be final, so I make them final as it finds them. It is very rare that
I am writing new code at this point. I have spent the last year bug fixing
other people's code.  From my standpoint, original intent is largely moot. So,
for me, the question is do I go through code that is not mine and mark it all
as final (where appropriate)? Sure, in code that I touch. In code the rest of
the codebase, I think there are bigger fish to fry before we get to final.

It seems like the larger portion of the consensus is to recommend that
variables are marked final (where appropriate) as we find them or create them.
That seems like the going forward approach consensus.

I will be blunt though. This seems nitpicky *compared* to the number of code
warnings there are and the fact that people are not actively fixing all of the
warnings.
If we don't come to the same consensus about all warnings this seems like
painting a rusted car, sure it makes it all look the same, but does very little
for the underlying problems. Now to undermine my own argument a little, I think
that especially in release blockers, we want to touch as little code as
possible, so I am flexible there.

I would also like to agree with Udo about final really not being very good
compared to Mutable and Immutable objects in other languages.

Thanks,
Mark