Aaron Mulder wrote:

Just to reiterate, I think Jeremy is saying that using the deployer tool for offline install is limited because it doesn't know what GBeans the server is using for the ConfigStore and PersistentConfigList and so on. If we instead actually start the server to do an "offline" deployment/installation, then all the corrct GBeans will be running and that is no longer an issue.

An alternative would be for the deployer to inspect the server's configuration when it starts, and load every dependency from the immediate parent of the module to be deployed up through the "root", and that should identify the correct ConfigStore and PersistentConfigList.
But this is tricky too, since how would it know what ConfigStore to load the configurations out of (including the configuration for the ConfigStore, aargh!). In the end, I suspect this depends on how server.jar was packaged, and if you plan to start your server with start-my-server.jar instead of server.jar then I don't know how the deployer would know that, so I don't know where it would get the original ConfigStore reference from -- perhaps we'd need to give it an option to identify your server startup JAR. But I think this would still fail if the server was running (since you'd probably clash for ports trying to load some of the services between ConfigStore and application), so it's an "offline" deploy in name only.

Another option is that we can provide a tool that works 100% for
the default server configuration (LocalConfigStore+FileConfigurationList). But it would not work in the face of customizations to the 2 core
components: if you swap out your LocalConfigStore, then the tool would not
work (it would install into the wrong place), and if you swap out your
PersistentConfigurationList then the tool would be unable to mark any
module to be started. If we wanted to, we could make offline deploy tools available for different combinations of those GBeans, or give you a procedure to build a new deploy tool from an old one.

The main reason I feel that this is important is that most other
products support it. Generally if you copy a new EAR over an old one
while the server is not running, and then start the server, the new
version of the EAR will deploy on startup. (Tomcat 5 in the one I can
think of that doesn't do this). I just hate to tell people that things that used to work won't work any more if they move to Geronimo. On the other hand, I think this behavior was mostly implemented via a hot deploy directory, so if we provide a GBean for a hot deploy directory, then maybe we don't need a offline deploy tool at all (beyond for building the server).

        And I guess the last issue is related.  In the long run, it will
be nice/necessary to have some kind of packaged-configuration-handling
features, in the deploy tool or another tool:
 - extract a CAR file from an entry in a server's ConfigStore
 - sign a CAR file (either in the server's ConfigStore or as a file)
 - transfer a packaged configuration directly from one server to another
 - deploy a CAR file into a server

Aaron