On Jul 12, 2005, at 10:52 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

1) -1.  Guidelines are good, policy can be bad.

yes - guidelines captures what I meant. (I think of policy being the same, but I can see how others don't...)

2a) IMHO...This will be hard to guage and form metrics.  This is
subjective...since I think quality of participation plays to a certain
degree.  Is this necessary?  Can't we continue as we have (or has this
proven to be negative)?

I'd prefer to have a set of guidelines to make it clear to everyone how we operate, and limit the chance that either we play favorites, or are accused of doing so.

2b) +1 for "bring into SVN, grant restricted status to some # of people"
because obviously it needs to be worked on by the authors to a certain
degree.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Geir Magnusson Jr. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 8:42 PM
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Close to completion? (Re: Is it a mountain? (Re: Donation of Admin
Console- request for help))

Lets start a new thread tomorrow, finish discussion since I suspect that all
that will say their peace have done so, and work out a vote?

I suspect we need to decide :

1) do we need to have any policy?

2) If so, decide the

   a) general committer acceptance policy/guidelines to define some
      sensible, fair, transparent metrics for accepting a committer
      such as
       - how long a person must commit patches
       - how long participate on the mailing lists

b) general code acceptance policy (what we have been discussing here)
      where the options include
       - bring into SVN, grant committer status to some # of people
       - bring into SVN, grant restricted status to some # of people
       - bring into SVN, follow a) above for people
       - none of the above

I think that "bring to incubator" is not in scope for this vote, as it's a tool we already have now - we can always do that and decide to sponsor or just participate, but at the end of that process, then the code contribution
b) rules should apply.

geir

Well, I was going to start a new thread, but it seems Alan doesn't
like that, so...

    Would it be accurate to say that the options on the table for
donated code are:

1) Bring (project X) to geronimo, grant full commit status to (some
number of people) who have worked with the code before

2) Bring project X to geronimo, put in a clearly separate SVN area,
grant restricted commit status (via ACL or explicit direction) to some
number of people who have worked with the code before

3) Bring project X to the incubator, mix outside people and
potentially Geronimo people to form a new project team

It's clear that there's a variety of opinions as to which of these
is preferable, and potentially which is most preferable for the web
console vs the ORB.

Aaron