On Nov 16, 2005, at 8:03 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

1) I think the standalone compiler is the only necessary JAR, and I
had volunterred to try to get it onto iBiblio at one point, but didn't
actually get around to it.  It would be great if someone else could do
that.  Someone (Jacek?) pointed me to a writeup on how to get
arbitrary JARs onto ibiblio, and I can pass that along if it would be
helpful.

5) I think port validation was tricky, because IIRC, each field is
validated independently.  I don't think there's a good way to validate
a whole screen at a time, much less a group of ports on a group of
screens, some of which you may not have seen yet.  If this turns out
to be hard, I don't think it would be the end of the world to skip it
for now, since presumably the user knows not to create port conflicts.

This was the demise of the M5 installer: it was very easy to get port conflicts. I was thinking of some kind of verification class used at the end that made sure no property values matching some pattern had the same values.

7) I think we could safely install all the schemas if you install J2EE
features, and none of the schemas otherwise.  It's not quite perfect,
but close enough.

True, but I am hoping to move this into the assembly plugin and use a generic procedure to extract schemas rather than the somewhat custom code we use today.

The other problem we need to think about, related to the port issue,
is setting the default web port.  If you install only Jetty or Tomcat,
whichever one you install should default to 8080.  But if you install
both, they should default to different ports.  I would be OK saying
that the installer will not install both, which would make this
easier, but I don't think there's that kind of exclusivity in the
feature selection screen.

I'd certainly like to know if there is some kind of "radio button" functionality.

Then again, I haven't worked with IzPack for a while now so my
information may be a little out of date.  :)

Aaron