Many of the Tomcat components seem to need the concept of a "Catalina Home". But this is not to say, that a majority of the components allow for overrides to particular directory structures and locations. So without looking at the code, I would probably say its doable...but this is speculation.

Aaron Mulder wrote:
I don't have any problems with your approach.   But I also am not the
biggest fan fo the var/catalina structure that Tomcat wants Geronimo
to have.  Is there some way to get Tomcat to use our directories
directly (log, work, whatever) instead of doing everything under a
Catalina directory?

Aaron