I assume it will be the case that the configId declaration in the file
will therefore control which repository location the CAR is installed
in -- so if you change the configId, it changes the install location.
Is that correct?

Here are my issues:
 - It's a pretty significant change for the "last gasp before 1.0".  I
would *really* prefer to hold off on this so we have some time to
think it through and work with it a bit longer before committing to it
as the future, but I'm afraid that you won't deliver separate
Jetty/Tomcat builds without it.  What do you think?

 - I want to make sure that application configIds or configIds for
services created by the user (e.g. database pools, security realms)
can still be anything at all ("foo") and don't have to follow the
Maven style naming.  Further, I don't think that not using Maven-style
configIds for your application should limit your capabilities in any
way (no, "can't deploy to a cluster if you can't use the packaging
plugin if you didn't use Maven-style configIds" or anything like that)

 - Along those line, are you proposing that this is the only way to
handle CAR import or export?  That isn't my sense.  I thought the
original plan was to import/export content from the Config Store
directly.  I'm not really sure when the repository got involved, but
I'd like to hear the case for it.  I mean, if I deploy application
foo, and it goes into directory 14 in the config store, can't we just
have a tool that zips and exports directory 14 as "foo.car" and then
another tool that imports "foo.car" as directory N+1 in the config
store of the destination?  I'm not saying that's right or you're
wrong, it's just this kind of thing that makes me think I'd really
prefer to work through this in detail at ApacheCon rather than putting
in the change at the last second before 1.0.

 - On a parctical note, I'm afraid the config IDs will become too long
for the deployer to fit on a single line, and it would make the
list-modules view pretty terrible (any chance we can establish a
policy of omitting the groupId if it happens to be org.apache.geronimo
and leaving out the "type" since IIUC it will always be "car"?)

If you go ahead, do you have a sense for how long it would take to
implement and test the change?

Thanks,
    Aaron