Bruce,

Can you share the resources you have found about IMAP/JavaMail etc. in
your research.  Let me know where I can help you with that. I'm not a mail
expert  but I will help where possible.

Thanks.

> On 12/5/05, Rajith Attapattu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Ok here is what I have right now for POP3.
>>
>> I have gone through the RFC 1939 in detail and here is the summary. I
>> have also gone through the JavaMail API spec. Started a bit if coding.
>>
>> I can come with a basic POP3 implementation that connects, authenticates
>> and list/retrieve/delete messages by Tuesday the earliest.
>>
>> Next on my list is message processing according to RFC 822.
>>
>> After that I will look into authentication.
>>
>> Is this timeline OK????
>>
>> POP3 protocol stack
>> ====================> I will start ASAP on the connection management and
>> the mandatory POP3
>> commands.
>>            USER name               valid in the AUTHORIZATION state
>>          PASS string
>>          QUIT
>>
>>          STAT                    valid in the TRANSACTION state
>>          LIST [msg]
>>          RETR msg
>>          DELE msg
>>          NOOP
>>          RSET
>>          QUIT
>>

>> Authentication
>> ==============> For now I will only work on USER/PASS, but some servers
>> do not support
>> plain text authentication.
>>
>> However I need to find out more details about the AUTH(RFC 1734) command
>> which use encryption. Same thing is used for IMAP. (didn't have time to
>> investigate).
>>
>> Message Format (RFC 822)
>> ======================> A whole new beast to be conquered. Again I
>> didn't have time to go
>> through in detail. Will give an update by Monday evening if possible.
>>
>> Guys, is this too much time??? What is the deadline??? do we need this
>> before ApacheCon ??
>
> There's no need to get it implemented by 1.0 because I highly doubt
> that we could test it extensively enough.
>
> As for your research, it looks good. Let' concentrate on building a
> good base of the implementations for the Message and the Store for
> both POP3 and IMAP before we get into authentication, encryption and
> the like. If we build a well designed base then extending it to handle
> addition things will be much easier.
>
> FYI: In addition to achieving a good grasp of how this architecture
> will be composed, I've been looking more at the Message (and its
> relation to the Activation Framework) and the IMAP related parts.
>
> Bruce
> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)[EMAIL PROTECTED]&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"
> );'
>
> The Castor Project
> http://www.castor.org/
>
> Apache Geronimo
> http://geronimo.apache.org/

-- bilal

-----
"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life,
when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic
about." - Einstein