Will the hot deployment directory satisfy you needs?

-dain

On Jan 3, 2006, at 7:34 AM, toby cabot wrote:

Hi Folks,

I guess it's possible that I'm the only person that used offline
deployment, at least I don't see a lot of people clamoring to bring it
back.  It's very useful for me, though, so I'd like to find out if
there's a possibility of bringing it back onto HEAD (and hopefully the
1.0 branch, too).  I'll probably need to hack something for my needs
but I'd just as soon do it in a way that's Geronimo-savvy.

From discussion on this list it looks as if the preferred approach is
to try to use the same approach that the build-time maven plugins do.
From my naive reading of the code, it looks as if that happens in two
passes: first the geronimo-packaging-plugin takes a deployable
resource (ear, war, etc) and generates a configuration archive from
that, then the geronimo-assembly-plugin moves the car into the
ConfigurationStore.  The configurations are mentioned in config.xml
(hand-coded?) which causes them to get started when Geronimo runs.  I
see notes in the code that the packaging plugin uses the Maven
repository, so in order to work on machines without Maven I imagine
that we'd need to use the Geronimo repository instead.

Is this more-or-less on the right track?  I'd appreciate any tips or
pointers, especially if I'm about to head off in the wrong direction.

Thanks,
Toby