On 1/30/2006 11:07 AM, David Blevins wrote:

On Jan 30, 2006, at 8:44 AM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

Think of what the alternative is that you are asking the end developer to cope w/. He must grok what is the current correct collection of versions are. Even if all the APIs mature and their version numbers never change thereafter, there will be confusion when we say everything is 1.0 except for CORBA which is 1.3 and JavaMail which is 1.545. We should also consider the situation when we accommodate new JSRs as well.

We are not looking at 545 versions of javamail -- if we were i would *certainly* put my foot down hard at releasing 545 identical jars for javax.servlet and the other 12 spec jars that don't change.

We are looking at maybe 8 release of javamail, possibly 4 of corba. Just guessing. That would give us this repo for all the public to consume. If you weren't using javamail or corba, you'd would only ever have to worry about the "1.0" version of everything. Those are already J2EE 1.4 certified and most haven't changed in 2 years.

geronimo-activation_1.0.2_spec-1.0
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.0
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.1
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.2
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.3
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.4
geronimo-corba_2.3_spec-1.5
geronimo-ejb_2.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-connector_1.5_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-deployment_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-jacc_1.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee-management_1.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.1
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.2
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.3
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.4
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.5
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.6
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.7
geronimo-javamail_1.3.1_spec-1.8
geronimo-jaxr_1.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-jaxrpc_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-jsp_2.0_spec-1.0
geronimo-jms_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-jta_1.0.1B_spec-1.0
geronimo-qname_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-saaj_1.1_spec-1.0
geronimo-servlet_2.4_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.0
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.1
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.2
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.3
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.4
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.5
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.6
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.7
geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec-1.8

That would represent 100% of the jars publicly available and consumed by the public. Life for people who just use servlets or jsp is simple and leveraging other projects that use servlets or jsp is also clean as they will be guaranteed to have the same servlet jar version as you (there is only one available).

Ahh, others who just want servlet or JSP.  Point taken.

Regards,
Alan