The offline option has gone away for 1.0.  There are Maven tasks you
can use to start the server, deploy some stuff, and then shut the
server down again -- not sure if that would work for you.  There was
talk about creating a dedicated offline development tool, but I don't
think it's been a super-high priority.  Of course, having more use
cases helps motivate things like that.  :)

I'm not sure if there's a JIRA for this or not -- if you get a chance,
can you review the JIRAs in the "deployment" category and see if
there's one discussing offline deployment and if not add one and
describe why you need it?

Thanks,
    Aaron

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10220