On 5/25/06, Matt Hogstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I XBean large enough to become a standalone project given that it has broader
applicability outside
of Geronimo?

I'd say so yes. Its got quite a few active committers, a reasonably
sized codebase with quite a few different modules. Sure XBean looks
tiny compared to Geronimo - but then so does most of the other
projects at Apache :).

In terms of codebase size and complexity XBean is in the same kinds of
ballparks as Ant, Lucene, iBatis, HiveMind, BSF, Velocity etc  (I just
randomly picked a bunch of apache projects which I was vaguely aware
of the codebase). So I don't see why it can't be its own sub-project
(whatever that means) standing firmly on its own 2 feet.

From what I know now other projects to Geronimo that use XBean are ActiveMQ,
OpenEJB
and XFire.

And ServiceMix and Jetty too.

 As you indicated below Geronimo would then be one more consumer on the
previous list.

I'm not sure of the pros and cons but since Geronimo has itself, DayTrader, Dev
Tools and now XBean
that are all versioned separately is there a logical division that makes sense?

I'm less sure of DayTrader and Dev Tools which seem more tightly
intertwined with J2EE; unless you're thinking of parts of those which
are usable outside of J2EE?

The reason I started down this line of thinking was that given the issues at
Codehaus I was
considering if we should bring TranQL over as well.  I was talking with Gianny
and it makes sense at
least for the connectors and Vendor RAR piece but it too is not really large
enough to stand on its own.

Am not sure about that; it might make sense to move that stuff over.
Lets have a separate thread for that :)

Apart from adding more confusion to your e-mail below not sure I answered your
question :)

;)

--

James