+1.  I've wanted both of these things fixed for some time so we can
both support spring 2.x in ActiveMQ and ServiceMix together with throw
more suitable error messages when folks mess up their XML (which
happens fairly frequently on the ActiveMQ user list).

BTW something thats very easy to do in XBean is...

<beans xmlns="http://activemq.apache.org/1.0";>....

<!-- some specific namespaced XML -->
<broker> ... </broker>

<!-- some regular Spring XML but not in the global namespace -->
<bean class="foo"></bean>

</beans>

The <bean> element needs an xmlns="" to take it out of the ActiveMQ namespace.

I guess we should try encourage folks to put the custom namespace on
the custom element (like the <broker> element to reduce the chances of
mistakes. But I was wondering if we'd add an extra useful error
message that for an unknown QName of XML, if the localName were 'bean'
we could add a warning recommend the user adds xmlns="" to their
element?