Boy, you _are_ a little frustrated.

I think it will help to have the schedule of the release.  No one can
claim IBM has a secret agenda if the time line is laid out there.  And
it's easy to wink if no one has any idea what the deadlines we're
working toward are.

I propose for 1.2 we drive it more by time than by features.  That is,
we lay out a schedule including builds every 2-3 weeks, initially
milestone builds, becoming beta and RC builds.  We try to get people
to test and provide feedback on the builds as we go, and we expect
that we'll have some issues early to mid-way through the process but
have clear dates for feature freeze, no bugs fixes except blockers,
branch for the next release, etc.  We may have to adjust the schedule
depending on what develops, but at least we'll know what we're
targeting at all times.  Then we'll have to huddle after the 1.2
release and decide whether this was an improvement over the 1.1
process or not, and decide how to go for 1.3/2.0.

I ended up using the SuSE 10.1 betas and RC's during their
dev/test/release process, and it went very much like the above
(including at least one adjustment to the schedule in mid-stream).
But it was nice to have a schedule laid out, to always be able to see
the date the next test build was expected, etc.  I'd like to give it a
try.

We may have to play things a little by ear in deciding how to deal
with plugins and which releases we try to create in-place upgrades for
(vs. fresh install only), but I think that's all manageable.

Thanks,
   Aaron

P.S. Maybe we'll get to see if the "Chariot agenda" is any better than
the "IBM agenda."  :)