If we do move things around in trunk, will it make merging changes made in the 1.1 branch more difficult?

Most likely... not sure how well SVN tracks changes and then merges back from branches after bits have been moved about.

<soapbox>
I know that Perforce would be able to handle these types of merges...
</soapbox>

Basically it will mean that files will need to be merged one by one explicitly, not using the recursive mechanism.

If so, how important is it to move things now and would there be a better time to do it, e.g. when 1.1.1 is released?

Well, I believe it is important... moderately important. We eventually need to bite the bullet and make these changes, which will cause some additional work when merging due to the way that SVN works. It is work that must be done at some time, and I think that the sooner the better.

Its not just the organization of the module's files... but also the organization of the modules themselves. IMO we MUST do both to take the most advantage out of the new m2 build system.

I can't stress enough that the current layout was designed around m1. m2 is quite different with respect to the rules that apply when organizing.

I'm not sure that delaying these changes will making anything easier. It may reduce work by 5-10% in the short-term but will probably increase work in the long run if we keep delaying to keep merges simple. If we really want to keep merges simple, then we should use Perforce, which actually handles incremental merging and can handle any arbitrary branching and handle full integration history when merging back off of branches of branches. Sorry, back on the soapbox again... but really IMo there is no better SCM than Perforce for large projects that need advanced branching and merging.

--jason