On Jul 1, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Jason Dillon wrote:

Bummer... highly sucky that we must clean to make a build. Stuff like this negates some of the intelligence the build uses to reduce the amount of work (and time to execute).

In general I recommend that a normal build never need to clean, move or delete files, so that steps that have completed previously do not need to be redone (where applicable).

Anyways, not a major issue right now, but going forward we will want to clean this up.

This requires careful analysis of what files determine the content of a car file. If all versions are specified in explicit_versions.properties, geronimo-dependency.xml inside jars, the pom, or the plan, then explicit_versions.properties, pom.xml, and the plan might be sufficient. However if there are any snapshot jars in use, if any of those have changed you need to rebuild. If there is an unspecified version anywhere, you need to check if there is a newer version than was used previously. Since this might have been downloaded from somewhere else, and built well before the last build, I'm not sure that timestamp comparison will work... I'm not sure how dates get set when you copy or move a file. I can't say i'm very attracted to trying to make this logic foolproof: building all the configs all the time seems a bit more reliable to me.

 * * *

Is it the local module's target than needs to be cleaned?

yes

If so, we can add a step that runs before car to invoke the clean plugin's clean goal. This is only a short-term fix though, I do not recommend that we start adding this pre-cleaning anywhere else.

The assemblies should in my experience also be cleaned first, or you tend to get into trouble if you remove a car from the assembly. Timestamp checking could help here too, but again this isn't something I have a burning desire to experiment with.

thanks
david jencks

--jason

The packaging plugin needs to be made to do a clean first, the m1 plugin did this with jelly.

I always run mvn -o clean install inside configs, which is annoying, but I haven't had time to investigate how to do "clean" from within an m2 plugin. Maybe you or someone else knows how?

thanks
david jencks