On Aug 6, 2006, at 4:40 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

How do we install the required yet idiotic jsr-77 gbean that represents the app client without a module to put it in?

Easy, just toss it into the parent ear configuration.

ok, but that won't work for a standalone app client. For consistency I think we should generate a server side moduleId from the supplied client side moduleId e.g. by appending "_server" to the artifactId.

To start with, I am totally cool with the solution above, but I would like to point out this is exactly what we do for ejb and rar modules. In those cases, we don't generate a module for the beans and just put the 77 services into the ear module. When they are standalone we generate a standalone module.

Aaron pointed out the inconstancy between the handling of web and ejb modules when we were finishing the 1.1 work. I still think it would be best to generate a module for each nested deployment, but I think it would be a lot of work. Before we do this I think we need to introduce the concept of shared and private child modules. Shared child modules would add their class path entries to the shared (e.g., ear) class loader, and their services would become part of the shared (e.g., ear) service registry. Private modules would operate like web modules do today meaning they have a private class loader and private service registry.

Anyway, it would be a lot of work, and I'm not planning on doing it :)

-dain