I’m currently investigating what it would take to update our J2EE Management (JSR 77) implementation for compliance with JEE 5 in Geronimo. Looking at the changes between spec releases 1.0 (June 18, 2002) and 1.1 (June 22, 2006) there are 4 items that changed:

1. JSR77.4.2.1.3 will be/ changed from "sequence" to/ "sequenceNumber" - This is just a typo error change.

2. JSR77.3.5.0.1 the deploymentDescriptor attribute must provide a full deployment descriptor based on any partial deployment descriptor plus deployment annotations.

3. JSR77.9.1 J2EE Management CIM. The Managed Object Format (MOF) and UML representation of the model are available from the Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF) web site: http://www.dmtf.org/standards/cim

4. JSR77.9.6 Appendix (CIM - Common Information Model) pages 190-214 removed

Here’s the link to the spec change log: http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/maintenance/jsr077/JSR77_MR.html

My first question is do we even have to update our current JSR 77 implementation to become JEE 5 compliant. If the spec changes are all we need to consider then it looks like only item 2 needs some attention since item 1 is just a typo error correction and items 3 and 4 are related to CIM which we didn’t implement. I’m not even sure if we need to do anything with item 2 like checking for deployment descriptor value. Are there any other changes that I need to consider? Please let me know if I am missing anything. Any suggestions, ideas, and concerns are welcome.

Thanks,
chris