Thanks Anita.

I decided that I couldn't pursue this much more without first getting the JSP 2.1 implementation included that JSTL 1.2 depends upon and building Geronimo with a 1.5 JDK. I did experiment with just slamming the JSTL jar with the Glassfish JAR and running under a 1.5 JVM but even with that I hit problems because the Glassfish JSTL 1.2 requires some of the JSP 2.1 EL classes.

Joe

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
John,
The jsp example is probably using javax.servlet specs. What I suggested will work only for console. The pom at jstl groupId at java.net at https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository/jstl/poms/jstl-1.2.pom is
<project>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>jstl</groupId>
  <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
  <version>1.2</version>
</project>
This pom is auto generated.. It will not download any other dependencies. The console should work, because it gets its specs from o.a.g.specs.

Thanks
Anita

*/Joe Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
    The applications/console/console-standard has a dependency:
    <dependency>
            <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
            <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
        </dependency>
The pom for this at javax.servlet groupId is a real one. It is
not
necessary to download the other specs. You could try replacing this
with :
        <dependency>
            <groupId>jstl</groupId>
            <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
        </dependency>
    Hope this is helpful..

Anita,

That is what I was trying to do for both the console and the jsp samples. However, to download this artifact from java.net it was my understanding that I also needed to add the java.net repository into the build and specify the version that I needed to download. To accomplish that I changed the JSTL
 dependencyManagement in the root pom to this:

             <dependency>
                 <groupId>jstl</groupId>
                 <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
                 <version>1.2</version>
             </dependency>

And then I added this definition for the repository ...

         <repository>
             <id>java.net</id>
<url>https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository
             </url>
             <layout>legacy</layout>
         </repository>

However, that is what seems to be causing the build to pick up javax\servlet\servlet-api\2.4\servlet-api-2.4.jar from java.net rather than the apache snapshot repo ... which is causing me problems in other areas of the build.

I didn't
follow your earlier post about the JSTL pom being a fake pom .. but my problem so far isn't with JSTL but rather the servlet-api-2.4 jar.

BTW, I was doing all of this while keeping the references in the Web Console and the JSP sample just to verify that that the Glassfish JSTL 1.2 would work on JDK 1.4 so long as the newer functions weren't exploited. My next step would be to remove JSTL from the applications and instead add it to J2EE assemblies.

Joe

thanks
Anita

*/anita kulshreshtha <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&YY=73006&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>>/*
 wrote:

    The spec jars for G are picked up from o.a.g.specs groupId.  The
JSTL pom is a fake pom. Hence it should not download anything
else.
    The best thing to do will
 be to move this jar to a different
    location (private repo?).

    thanks
    Anita

    */Joe Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&YY=73006&y5beta=yes&y5beta=yes&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>>/*
 wrote:

        It appears that we pick these up in our
current build. It's just a matter of where we get them from.
I'd
        like
to first get things working by picking up just the jar that I
need
(JSTL) from java.net and check to see if in fact we are
picking
        up other
        jars that are not necessary
(javax\servlet\servlet-api\2.4\servlet-api-2.4.jar in this
case).

        Joe

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=42973/*http://www.yahoo.com/preview>

Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman1/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>
to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2ยข/min or less.

All-new Yahoo! Mail <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=43256/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/mailbeta>- Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.