Thanks Prasad,

I couldn't get my local build back to the position that I was in earlier where it was failing because it was pulling in the wrong servlet-api so I didn't get to determine who was pulling in these transitive dependencies.

If I get back to that point and determine who the culprit is then I can experiment with the exclusion mechanism. I may have gotten there by some fluke of a partial build with some modules pulling dependencies from java.net and others pulling dependencies from elsewhere.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Joe

Prasad Kashyap wrote:
Joe,

I still think the specs from javax are being picked up as a transitive
dependency. Our specs should be from o.a.g.specs groupId. Did you try
the exclusion mechanism at all ?

Cheers
Prasad

On 10/20/06, Joe Bohn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

anita kulshreshtha wrote:
>     The applications/console/console-standard has a dependency:
>        <dependency>
>             <groupId>javax.servlet</groupId>
>             <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
>         </dependency>
>     The pom for this at javax.servlet groupId is a real one. It is not
> necessary to download the other specs. You could try replacing this with :
>         <dependency>
>             <groupId>jstl</groupId>
>             <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
>         </dependency>
>     Hope this is helpful..

Anita,

That is what I was trying to do for both the console and the jsp
samples.   However, to download this artifact from java.net it was my
understanding that I also needed to add the java.net repository into the
build and specify the version that I needed to download.  To accomplish
that I changed the JSTL dependencyManagement in the root pom to this:

             <dependency>
                 <groupId>jstl</groupId>
                 <artifactId>jstl</artifactId>
                 <version>1.2</version>
             </dependency>

And then I added this definition for the repository ...

         <repository>
             <id>java.net</id>
             <url>https://maven-repository.dev.java.net/nonav/repository
             </url>
             <layout>legacy</layout>
         </repository>

However, that is what seems to be causing the build to pick up
javax\servlet\servlet-api\2.4\servlet-api-2.4.jar from java.net rather
than the apache snapshot repo ... which is causing me problems in other
areas of the build.

I didn't follow your earlier post about the JSTL pom being a fake pom ..
but my problem so far isn't with JSTL but rather the servlet-api-2.4 jar.

BTW, I was doing all of this while keeping the references in the Web
Console and the JSP sample just to verify that that the Glassfish JSTL
1.2 would work on JDK 1.4 so long as the newer functions weren't
exploited.  My next step would be to remove JSTL from the applications
and instead add it to J2EE assemblies.

Joe