I agree that parts of server should be split up into a few smaller chunks... but I can tell you from current experience with what we have so far, and from past experence where I worked on systems larger than G with each bit versioned separately... that the more versions you put in the mix, the more work and headache it is going to be to keep the system in order.

The less versions to manage the better... that does not mean only one version for everything, but a limited number of components that are managed and versioned together. IMO specs are one of those components that should be managed and versioned together.

I do not think we want to end up with the same cluster* that maven exists in today with all of its components, some from ASF, some from Codehaus, all versioned up separately, can't easily tell which versions are compatible with each other, can't tell which is the latest. I think following maven's practice would be a huge mistake.

--jason