We may want to take this time to fix a few other groupId thingys too...

We should change the base server/trunk groupId to:

    org.apache.geronimo.server

And perhaps change the 'applications' groupId to simply 'apps'... anyways, we'd end up with ids like:

    testsupport/*               org.apache.geronimo.server
    modules/*                   org.apache.geronimo.server
    configs/*                   org.apache.geronimo.server.configs
    applications/*              org.apache.geronimo.server.apps
    maven-plugins/*     org.apache.geronimo.server.mavenplugins
    assemblies/*                org.apache.geronimo.server.assemblies
    testsuite/*                 org.apache.geronimo.server.testsuite

If we want to use "org.apache.geronimo.server.maven" for our plugins, then I suggest we rename "maven-plugins/*" to "maven/*" to keep things consistent. And actually I would do the same for "applications/ *", rename it to "apps/*".

I also think that we should still re-organize modules/* configs/* into groups based on the features they provide (like all activemq, jetty, tomcat, etc) and I would put the configuration modules in the same group dirs. For an example of that peep at the structure of the g1.1-activemq4 stuff I just added:

    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/g1.1-activemq4/

This is how I would recommend we eventually get our modules organized... into directories which contain all of the modules (and config modules) for a particular integration. This makes it much easier to work on a specific feature... can simply `cd <feature>; mvn` to build those modules.

And, well.. if we keep along the same idea of structure reform, I think we should probably start to think about dropping those "geronimo-" prefixes that we have everywhere. I don't believe they are useful, and only eat up space in the filename length. The groupId should be sufficient to indicate these are Geronimo artifacts, we don't need to remind people by adding that to the artifact name too.

Some of this might be more disruptive than we can handle for right now, especially while trying to get 2.0 out ASAP. I was hoping to delay most of the major reorganization surgery until 2.1. But I think a few of the groupId-based changes can be done for 2.0 soonish if we want.

For the larger moving stuff around... I am going to use svk2 to setup a branch in the sandbox, pulling in new changes from trunk to keep it up to date. From what I've been told svk2 handles merges from source into target branches when the target branch has stuff moved around... and I want to make sure that works. If it does... well, then the whole restructuring will be trivial, we can keep working on trunk asis then once the new structure is happy, we can just switch over with very little merge overhead.

--jason