What about creating a jar/zip of the var directory when the assembly is created, so you always have a pristine copy and could easily use a script to unjar/unzip it into a new directory via the user's JVM?

-Donald

Anita Kulshreshtha wrote:
--- David Jencks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I agree. I don't think normal geronimo startup should involve copying stuff from one location to another to set up a new server location.
    This is needed because we need to keep a pristine copy of 'var'
directory to create additional instances of geronimo. A user should be
able to use the installed image _any_ time to create additional
instances. In other words we need two copies of 'var' directory, one to
create additional instance and one to start the 'base server'. We could
either create var and geronimo/var at build time or copy 'var' to
geronimo/var when the image is used to start geronimo very _first_
time.
Thanks
Anita

 We could build some kind of admin server to manage setting
up/removing server "clones" but I don't think it should be part of the base server normal startup path. If I've misunderstood what you
are proposing please complain :-)

thanks
david jencks