David Jencks wrote:

On Jul 18, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Peter Petersson wrote:

Nice repacking David your experience shines right throw it ;) I have some suggestions that may future enhance the plugin.

As it is now the roller exposed plugin modules consist of a database choice and a container choice but as the roller-jetty and roller-tomcat modules is dependent on specific database configurations, in the current setup the derby database, and as this dependency seems to be hard to "work around"(?) it would maybe be a good idea to rearrange the modules as follows

* roller-jetty-derby  (prev roller-jetty)
* roller-jetty-mysql  (new)
* roller-tomcat-derby (prev roller-tomcat)
* roller-tomcat-mysql (new)

... and so on, and just expose them as the instalable roller plugin alternatives leaving the database modules (roller-xxxx-database) to be automaticaly pull in (prev. selectable).

Would this be preferable or do you (David) or anyone else have other ideas on how to best package the roller plugin to be easy maintainable and expendable to other roller supported databases ? Im quite new to maven, plugins and G for that mater so there may be more elegant solutions to this, anyway i find myself needing a roller-tomcat-mysql module to be able to test that combo out without messing with the current roller-tomcat (derby specific) module.

I think instead of the above we can add a line to var/config/artifact_aliases.properties

org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-derby-database//car=org.apache.geronimo.plugins/roller-mysql-database/2.0-SNAPSHOT/car

Then roller will start using the mysql database configuration.

I haven't actually installed mysql and tried this, but based on a lot of use of artifact_aliases in the tck it should work fine. Could you try it?

I can now confirm that the artifact_alias switch worked :) although with a couple of glitches.

I started with installing the roller derby db on tomcat and the database tables was created nicely. Installed tomcat-roller and started it up as expected, added a roller user account (to make some changes in the roller derby db). Added and saved the artifact alias line (manually) and installed the mysql-roller-database (or maybe I did it the other way around) getting some errors as the table, via the DatabaseInitializationGBean and script, creation didn't work, created them manually. Now /roller was off-line (not a total surprise) and it wouldn't start as it complained about missing dependency on the roller-derby-database. Restarting the Geronimo server resolved the problem roller could be started and my newly created account (in the derby db) was, as expected, gone. Created a new account and confirming the mysql database update with "select * from rolleruser". I may get some time this weekend to try to make this a bit smother.

thanks
  Peter Petersson

I think we need to add the capability of adding/removing stuff from artifact_aliases to the plugin system so that if you install the roller-mysql plugin it adds this line all by itself.

thanks
david jencks

Once again sry for the triple post above gmail was so slow i lost confidence in it. Risking a double post again it has been 4h sins i posted this to the list from my goggle account and it has not shown up yet.

regards
 Peter Petersson

Peter Petersson wrote:

david jencks wrote:
We should move this discussion to the dev list I think, you can quote or copy anything I've written to the dev list.
Just did ;)

It looks like we collided on this work :-) I haven't had consistent internet access for the last few days (my dsl just got connected an hour ago) so I haven't done a good job of keeping you up to date with my progress.
np

I just committed some changes to geronimo/roller that, together with ROL-1482, get roller working for me on geronimo-jetty. I haven't looked at your patch.
Great ! I will check out your changes as and if I find anything to add from my resent patch I will let you know.

- I got the security realm gbean to work. I doubt it is needed since IIUC roller is using acegi and I don't think it is hooked up to javaee security. - I got the database initialization gbean to work by tweaking the openjpa schema synchronization properties. I'm not sure that having openjpa create all the tables will end up with enough indexes, and without more info in the orm.xml files the columns will be dramatically different sizes.. For instance, the primary key id columns appear to be 48 characters to accomodate a UUID, but openjpa want to make the 255 characters. On the other hand it looks like roller can be set to create the tables itself or even upgrade from previous schemas, so maybe we should try to enable that feature instead of running our own script. If we can enable this feature I think we can drop the roller-*-resources modules.
Yes I noticed roller was attempting to upgrade the db on some of my installation tests but at the moment it appears to be a bit jumpy. I agree it would be preferable to let roller handle the upgrade and installation. I resolved the mail configuration problem but I suspect you have that in you commit.
- I will look at the tomcat/jasper problem you show below but I suspect that it's caused by not including the jasper builder in the car-maven-plugin configuration. I think I fixed this in both versions but I haven't actually tried running the tomcat version yet.

- I added a "top level build" that seems to work ok but only after I've built each module separately once. I don't understand why this is happening.
As did I (its in the patch) when I got tired of building the modules separately. I got the exact same problem it seems maven picks the modules in alphabetic order I thought maven would be able to find out the right (dependency) order (someone probably know the trick).

It was very exciting to get roller to finally run on my machine after months of struggle!
I know the feeling from G v1.1 and v1.2 :). Now we can focus on getting things stable and finaly into a public plugin repository soon after the G v2.0 release.

I think we should ask roller to publish some usable artifacts to the maven repo using the ant maven tasks. Then we won't have to do this silly unpacking the zip routine.

I agree go ahead and drop something in there dev list http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ROLLER/Roller+Mailing+Lists

thanks
  Peter Petersson