On 8/27/07, James Strachan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > 1. Use slf4j as the logging framework. (http://www.slf4j.org/) -> btw,
> > > I'm not sure if its a better option, but I did hear some good stuff
> > > about it.
> >
> > Yes, SMX should switch to using the slf4j-api which will allow any
> > logging framework to be plugged in at deployment time.
>
> how's that different from commons-logging (other than adding yet
> another dependency, since many things SMX depends on also depends on
> commons logging)

There are a lot of reasons, including an extremely good writeup about
JCL that Ceki did back in 2004 that is available here:

http://www.qos.ch/logging/thinkAgain.jsp

But the most important point of all is that the use of JCL is most
oftentimes incorrect from an architecture standpoint. At least this is
what the creator of JCL says:

'...The purpose of Commons Logging is not to somehow take the logging
world by storm. In fact, there are very limited circumstances in which
Commons Logging is useful. If you're building a stand-alone
application, don't use commons-logging. If you're building an
application server, don't use commons-logging. If you're building a
moderately large framework, don't use commons-logging. If however,
like the Jakarta Commons project, you're building a tiny little
component that you intend for other developers to embed in their
applications and frameworks, and you believe that logging information
might be useful to those clients, and you can't be sure what logging
framework they're going to want to use, then commons-logging might be
useful to you...'

See Rod's full blog entry here: http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/2003/08/15.html

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print unpack("u30","D0G)[EMAIL
PROTECTED]&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*"

Apache ActiveMQ - http://activemq.org/
Castor - http://castor.org/