After voting to move tomcat/trunk to sandbox there has been some good discussion about the development model for a new trunk, mainly whether it will follow some form of RTC. When a new trunk is created I will ask them to reapply the annotation support patch and offer to help if needed. If Tomcat decides to use RTC then it's possible that the patch won't receive enough binding votes but I'm optimistic that there will be good support. I don't expect there would be any technical issues with it since it was actually developed against the 6.0.x branch, has passed TCK, and David and Remy worked through all of the known issues as it was applied. Filip has also been extremely helpful and provides good insights for this type of thing.

As that discussion plays out we can continue to create a special build of tomcat using the procedure described in https:// issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3206. The only difference being that the annotation support would need to be merged from tomcat/ sandbox/gdev6x onto their latest 6.0.x tag instead of merging it from trunk. Right now the Tomcat binaries used by Geronimo 2.x are kept in SVN under geronimo/server/**/repository. We'll probably need to stick with that approach for a while anyway since the Tomcat team (understandably) has had some reservations about publishing snapshots of trunk, see
http://www.nabble.com/please-publish-a-snapshot-tf3850372.html

Another possibility would be to investigate whether the basic annotation support provided in the already released versions of Tomcat 6.0.x could be adequate for Geronimo's needs. As I recall we had that working at one point but it had some limitations.

Best wishes,
Paul