I also like 2, 3, and 4. But with a twist, setting up server configuration 'templates' and allowing users to do the same. Then allowing the user/administrator to change which template their server should morph to.

We would supply templates for all of our default builds (essentially a copy of the config.xml that would have been supplied with the server build) and once a user had configured their server the way they wanted to, they would be able to export the current config.xml as a template.

Then we would have gshell command(s) that would download whatever plugins were needed and twist the config.xml to match the selected server configuration.

This is a little bigger than just changing the web service container - But I think it could have some very cool uses.

Jay