-0

I find 2 space indenting difficult to read. I'm sure that I'm misunderstanding something so take my reply with a grain of salt.

On Mar 13, 2008, at 8:28 AM, David Jencks wrote:

On Mar 13, 2008, at 7:21 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

-1. I don't think there is any value in making the indent for xml or any other files different than the normal indent for all other files.

Let me give a couple of examples where the 4-space indent causes a lot of pain and will continue to:

- in genesis geronimo-skin we have a site.vm file that is a slightly modified copy of the default .vm file from doxia-sitetools. Trying to update it or compare it with different indents is quite an experience.

I'm not terribly familiar w/ site generation. I was under the impression that we leave cookies by the wiki and elves make it. :)

Could we not just reformat the site.vm file to have 4 space indents?

- maven archetypes pop out xml with 2 space indenting, and maven xml has 2 space indenting. Re-indenting our stuff any time you run an archetype or borrow some configuration from maven is a nuisance that frequently is ignored and again the spacing difference makes comparison quite difficult.

For those of us sensible enough to use IntelliJ, alt-cmd-L makes our world tidy. Maybe we could get the archetype generator to take the number of spaces for an indent as a configuration parameter?

Do you have an editor that can't deal with different indents for different file types?

thanks
david jencks

--jason