You can also skip the tests and testsuite to save on retry times -
        mvn install -Dtest=false -Pno-it

One thing I have noticed, is that you need to clean the assemblies between rebuilds, due to some car-maven-plugin problem where it sometimes generates bogus server assemblies.
        cd assemblies
        mvn clean

-Donald