I've downloaded Nexus and configured my .m2/settings.xml from the getting
started guide to use Nexus instead of directly downloading dependencies but
it doesn't seem to solve the problem. I still find maven stuck downloading a
dependency which I have to kill. Should I be using Nexus to somehow download
these dependencies in advance?
I also noticed the assemblies issue earlier- then I just did a complete mvn
clean install but that was when I had wired net. I had been building with
tests off already, which does save some time.

Thanks,