Sorry for sending this message multiple times.  I had some probs with
gmail so I thought the message was not sent out but it actually did.

Lin

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Lin Sun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> think I'd rather let users to select functions instead of providing
> profiles to keep things simple, as we may not be able to suggest the
> right profiles for users and some users may end up not seeing a set of
> functions he desires to see in the list of profiles.
>
> For functional based assembly,  I like what you proposed of providing
> an advanced configuration at the end to add additional system modules
> or application modules if desired.
>
> Create a local server instance is interesting... something I haven't
> thought of so far.  It can certainly be considered after the above
> items.
>
> Lin
>

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 1:50 PM, Donald Woods <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Yep, the current custom assembly portlet needs some love...
>>
>> I agree that there are three usage scenarios, but thinking that we could
>> handle all with the same portlet.  We don't want users to start down an
>> "application" path only to find out that they can't add additional modules
>> (like the deployers, monitoring, ...) and have to start over and use the
>> advanced path.
>>
>> Maybe we can create a set of views that are displayed or hidden, based on
>> how the user starts, like
>> 1) "Create a server assembly based on a deployed application"
>>    - prompts user to choose from deployed application(s) (but hides system
>> modules)
>>    - presents user with an "advanced options" link, to add other system
>> modules
>> 2) "Create a server assembly based on a profile"
>>    - prompts user to choose from a predetermined list of profiles
>>        - Web (our minimal assembly today)
>>        - Web + JMS
>>        - Web + EJB
>>        - Web + ....
>>    - presents user with an option to "add deployed application(s)"
>>    - presents user with an "advanced options" link, to add other system
>> modules
>>
>> Also, would be nice to give the option to create a local server instance
>> (sharing the same repo), along with the existing zip/tar option....
>>

>> -Donald
>>

>> Lin Sun wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'd like to enhance the assemble server portlet's usability.
>>> Currently it is hard to come up with a desired custom server assembly.
>>>
>>> For example, I want to create a custom server that provides similar
>>> function as tomcat.   To do this, I picked the boilerplate-minimal,
>>> tomcat and tomcat-deployer to build my custom server.  However, soon I
>>> found out that I am not able to deploy anything to the server, as I
>>> didn't select any plugins to enable command deployer or hot deployer
>>> or console deployer or gshell deployment.    So I went back to the
>>> assemble server portlet and I saw so many plugins related to
>>> deployment, by looking at the plugins under the Deployment category-
>>>
>>> org.apache.geronimo.framework/upgrade-cli/2.1.2/car
>>> org.apache.geronimo.framework/jsr88-cli/2.1.2/car
>>> org.apache.geronimo.framework/jsr88-deploymentfactory/2.1.2/car
>>> org.apache.geronimo.framework/offline-deployer/2.1.2/car
>>> org.apache.geronimo.framework/online-deployer/2.1.2/car
>>> org.apache.geronimo.configs/jsr88-ear-configurer/2.1.2/car
>>> org.apache.geronimo.configs/jsr88-jar-configurer/2.1.2/car
>>> org.apache.geronimo.configs/jsr88-rar-configurer/2.1.2/car