On Aug 12, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

I think we should stop using
<useTransitiveDependencies>true</useTransitiveDependencies> in
car-maven-plugin. It's just pulling in too much stuff and it's hard to
control it (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4233).
Looks like only ./framework/configs/gshell-* configs are using that
option.

I've been considering this since I added the setting. IMO it's just revealing problems with our dependency management, not causing them. My goal is to use it everywhere. Here's my half-baked plan:

1. make it so the c-m-p configuration can apply small tweaks to the maven dependencies such as the import classes/services/all setting rather than having to replace the entire maven dependencies set with a near-copy. 2. develop some tooling to compare results with and without useTransitiveDependencies 3. starting with framework, convert all the cars to useTransitiveDependencies=true, adding <exclusions> and changing scopes in dependencies as needed. 4. In server/trunk/plugins (and plugins) convert all out-of-plugin dependencies to dependencies on cars.

Anyone want to help with this?

Sounds like a recipe for including a bunch of stuff that we don't want or need...

Can you elaborate on why you think it's better to opt out, rather than opt in?