On Jan 13, 2009, at 9:50 AM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

Kevan Miller wrote:

On Jan 12, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Bill Stoddard wrote:

I'm sure most of you know about Vadim's Apache stats project for tracking download statistics for the verious Apache projects:

http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/stats/index.html <http://people.apache.org/%7Evgritsenko/stats/index.html >

A fun little project but exceedingly difficult (not to mention time consuming) for Vadim to dig into the details of each project in order to present project stats with finer details.

Just out of curiosity, I did some Ruby hacking to modify Vadim's apache log mining script to filter out Geronimo project data with finer resolution. Here are the results:

http://people.apache.org/~stoddard/stats/data/ <http://people.apache.org/%7Estoddard/stats/data/ >

BTW, if I understand what you are counting, then these statistics only represent some fraction of the actual downloads (i.e. the downloads from http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/ <http://www.apache.org/dist/geronimo/2.1.3/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5-2.1.3-bin.zip > ) Downloads from the various Apache mirrors would not be counted... Wondering if hits to the mirroring system (e.g. http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/geronimo/ ) would yield a more accurate statistic.

--kevan
These stats include downloads redirected to the mirrors. I do count the redirects for download artifacts by closer.cgi. As expected, I have no way to determine if a redirect was successful... very possible some fractions of hits are duplicates (i.e., a mirror failed and the client came back for another mirror).

Cool. Thanks for the info.