I have to admit that locale and character encoding issues are something I know almost nothing about.

I think this is likely a bug in either maven or the IBM compiler, but I have no idea how to figure out which.

Do you know why these are different with the different jdks?
Default locale: zh_CN, platform encoding: GB18030
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252

Is there some way to make everything use utf-8?

If you can figure out anything that makes it seem like this is a maven bug I hope you will file a maven jira :-)

thanks
david jencks