Futher, if the old docs are taken out, it would leave a structure
that's much more focused on a the newest version, and thus reduce the
likeliness of GoogleBot seeing the pages as being too similar.
GoogleBot is very sensitive with this and sometimes sees 2 completely
irrelevant pages as being similar. I've found on 2 occasions that
changing the wording on one page could cause another page to suddenly
appear with the next index. This could be coincidence, as many reasons
could cause a page to become indexed, but the similarity seems most
probably since looking at the 2 pages you could understand how a bot
could see them as similar.

Further, updating the documentation with basic SEO in mind, and
improving the link webs should help get more pages indexed - and
possibly even listed higher.

Quintin Beukes