1. I saw the empty web.xml file also, I would suggest that even if we really
need that file, it should be added by DeploymentContext, not directly write
to repository.

2. Thanks for the suggest of using JAXB, I am sure that it would be easy to
parse/generate xml file. But how about generating a full jaxb classes for
Java EE deployment descriptors. I knew that we have had a XMLBeans version,
but I wish that we should replace it in the future.
Anyway, I would first try to generate the jaxb classes for
web-3.0/web-fragment/web-common and the required reference types from javaee
schema, so that it would keep the effect in the web-builder module.

2010/1/26 David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>

> On Jan 25, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>
>  I agree. I think it would good for Geronimo to construct the
>> metadata-complete web.xml and pass it to Tomcat to handle the rest.
>>
>> Btw, in TomcatModuleBuilder.addGBeans() there is a bit of code that
>> (re)writes a web.xml. Does anybody know why is that (still) needed?
>> The comment above that bit of code talks about when web.xml is missing
>> (in jaxws case) but the code seems to be writing an empty web.xml even
>> if web.xml is present and has Java EE namespace.
>>

> The only way to be sure is to take it out and see what happens :-)
> IIRC the main purpose is to write the metada-complete web.xml out for
> tomcat to find... but I may not RC.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>

>> Jarek
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:31 PM, David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jan 25, 2010, at 7:20 AM, Ivan wrote:
>>>
>>>  Hi,
>>>>

>>> In tomcat, I think we have to let tomcat create the servlet wrapper
>>> objects.
>>>  Several people have tried to turn them into gbeans but it conflicts with
>>> tomcat's attempt to manage the component lifecycle.  I think we could
>>> write
>>> a jaxb-based processor to replace the tomcat digester one and this might
>>> simplify our code.
>>>
>>> I would prefer that geronimo scan for annotations and construct a
>>> complete
>>> web.xml from them and then process the web.xml either through our code

--
Ivan