I was actually leaning toward #2 or even #1. The benefit of #2 is that the final version is what you would normally expect and is consistent with other projects.

I can certainly see the value in #3 - especially if we release multiple milestones. It makes it much easier to understand the version involved if there is a problem. But I don't like the lasting implications for our official released version.

Joe