Thanks Rick !

I just took a look at this problem,  In method [1], there are about 50
SelectSet to close in the loop.   Each one takes 1 second to complete
because SelectSet.stop() uses a Closer to do the closing job asynchronously
and wait for the closing for 1 second before closing it directly.   The
asynchronous closing logic only get executed after SelectSet.select() is
called.

Adding set.doSelect() after  set.stop() at method [1]  did the trick.  I did
not find a good way in geronimo side to fix this problem.

[1] org.eclipse.jetty.io.nio.SelectorManager.doStop()

 protected void doStop() throws Exception
    {

        SelectSet[] sets= _selectSet;
        _selectSet=null;
        if (sets!=null)