Can we have a weekend moratorium on this thread so we call all cool off?

I’d like to toss out some important points to consider over the weekend.

TL;DR:
it’s ok for there to be multiple ASF projects that accomplish the exact same
thing
any competent person is welcome to join any ASF project
the Apache Software Foundation, itself, does not submit JSRs
It’s ok for there to be multiple ASF projects that accomplish the exact same
thing

There is no land grab of ideas or product spaces here at the ASF.  If a bunch
of people I wanted to implement a map/reduce system we could. The fact that
Apache Hadoop is in existence shouldn’t be a barrier.  I’ll go even further and
say that because of AL2.0, we could fork bits, or even co-opt huge swaths of
code, from Apache Hadoop and use it to our own means.  The only criteria the
ASF would hold our new project to is that of a healthy vibrant community.

Any competent person is welcome to join any ASF project

Anyone could join our new fictitious project, even Apache Hadoop developers.
An interesting result of this is that just because people worked on Apache
Hadoop, they are not married to Apache Hadoop.  They are not traitors if they
decide to also dabble in our new project.  So long as there are healthy vibrant
communities on both sides, e.g. interactions are done in a respectful manner,
it’s all good in the eyes of the ASF.

The Apache Software Foundation, itself, does not incubate/submit JSRs

The protocol etiquette of submitting a JSR is, thankfully, the JCP’s headache
and such discussions should take place outside of the ASF project mailing
lists.  Also, just because a project is a part of the ASF does not ensure that
it will be a viable JSR. Being an ASF project does not imply that the ASF
explicitly or implicitly endorses it as a JSR contender. IMHO, it may be a bit
premature to submit a JSR for this problem domain; jm2c.

Regards,
Alan