I'm not sure if generalisation of n coverage tools is high priority on its
own. If we offer cobertura as a built-in plugin, some generalisation is
unavoidable for clarity and maintainability. It would be nice to have a
really good cobertura plugin, but I'd rather it to be maintained by the
community :) Also, the design of the generic coverage api probably requires
considerable effort. Short term, I'd rather we focus on other things (core
platform, missing plugins, better automation for community plugins, etc.).
Long term, it might be nice :)

>For now Jacoco does not provide enough options to filter out branched
related to assertions and specific "unreachable" branches in our code.

Perhaps it's worth reaching out to jacoco community about this one.

Thanks for reaching out!

--
Szczepan Faber
Principal engineer@gradle; Founder@mockito