On 25 Nov 2013, at 19:20, Adam Murdoch wrote:

On 26 Nov 2013, at 12:19 am, Philip Crotwell <crotw...@seis.sc.edu> wrote:

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM, kelemen <attila.keleme...@gmail.com> wrote: I'm with Luke in this case regarding the separator character. Two of the
benefits of '#':

- Test method calls and test classes are easily distinguishable by looking
at them.
- Using "." will leave the user wonder: "How does it know I'm referring to a
method?" which could be a source of misunderstanding.

By the way, using "::" instead of "#" would be consistent with Java 8
notation (not that it is really that important).

To me however, it is more important that I can start the test method from the command line and a clear (unambigous) syntax would be better here. I
believe why it is mostly needed is to (re)test a single method when
something is broken (and is assumed to be fixed) which is not a predefined
set of test methods. Although probably there are good cases for the
predefined set of methods (to group quicker tests, etc.).

Hi

I also think the retest of a failure is the most likely use case. It would be really nice if gradle could print the command line that execs just the single failed test as part of the test report for that test to allow easy "cut-paste-retest".

As long as it is easy, the syntax probably doesn't matter, but I don't see the benefit of an easily distinguishable method vs class syntax to the user. If I say "gradle, please run test A.B.C" and C happens to be a method, what is the advantage of gradle responding "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"? Seems to me that if it is easy to figure out what the user wants to do, gradle should just do it.

+1

The problem here is not the easy case, it's the ambiguous and unanticipated edge case.

--
Adam Murdoch
Gradle Co-founder