On 19 Feb 2014, at 3:06 pm, Daz DeBoer <darrell.deb...@gradleware.com> wrote:

> Hey Marcin
> That's great. If you want to take a stab at a design spec for supporting an
> sftp repository transport, that would be a good start. This can go into a new
> document: /design-docs/repository-transports.md.
>
> For the first story I think it should be sufficient to simply support a
> 'sftp://host[:port]' type URL, together with the existing user/password
> credentials. But we should probably start thinking about how we can support
> other authentication mechanisms as well (for all transports)

That would be good. I would love to make credentials a first-class concept and
expose some nice command-line and tooling API mechanisms to provide and manage
them.

> We also need to start thinking about how we're going to provide adequate test
> coverage for different repository transports. Do we want to run all of our
> remote resolution tests against all remote transports, or choose a subset of
> tests that would be sufficient for demonstrating a particular transport
> behaves correctly? We can probably come up with a
> org.gradle.integtests.fixtures.AbstractMultiTestRunner subclass that can run
> a set of tests against a defined set of transports.

One thing that the current test coverage does is to verify exactly which
network requests are being made when. This is really important from a
performance point of view. I would not want to lose this coverage if we were to
abstract some of the tests away from transport, and any new transports should
have a similar kind of coverage. Perhaps we might change the test fixtures to
abstract some of the verifications (there’s really only a handful of different
interactions we need to check for).

--
Adam Murdoch
Gradle Co-founder